Monday, April 16, 2007

32. Spring has Sprung




Photos: 2 x My 29th Birthday last week; Spring has arrived in Scotland; The boys to climb the Corbett (bottom of page)...

Finally things seem to be slowing down a little and giving us time to catch our breath, see each other for more than one day and start to think about the year ahead. Just trying to get our head around everything that’s going on right now is a slight struggle. Then there’s the news of Karen’s pregnancy…this will inevitably curb our somewhat selfish lifestyle. No more trips for two to Europe anymore, there’ll be three soon… And I can’t say I’m at all disappointed about the addition to the Sinclair Clan later this year. I’m still over the moon and looking forward to September more and more…

Then there’s the CML. It’s been great that it has been forced to take a back seat lately. I doubt there will ever be a day I don’t think about it…I always seem to be summing up options, checking new therapies and keeping involved with the Leukaemia charity work. Although I’ve never let it get the better of me and consume me, I can say that I do think about it less each day. And it’s great to witness others who are close to me do the same.
As for my doctor appointment two weeks ago; I’d got myself very ready and prepared to talk to my Consultant about the not-so-good PCR results. I felt I needed to talk about other options and determine what the next route I will take. However, I was met by another registrar who told me my ‘usual’ doc was on hols and if it was ok to see her instead. I wasn’t too concerned as she looked like a supermodel but I was felt slightly let down as I had so many questions still hanging over me…and a few Karen made me ask too. So the diagnosis was anti-climax and the remedy was to see my ‘usual’ doc in a 4 weeks time (cheesy I know…)

So that was that…the quiet time has come and it has now gone. I celebrated my 29th birthday last Friday in Glasgow’s West End with a bunch of mates. We kicked off proceedings with a few beers and then later that night we headed out for an Indian curry. Love it! This weekend is Karen’s friend’s Nina and Anthony’s wedding (best friends since age 4), so it’ll be time to don the Sinclair Tartan kilt once again and burn up the dance floor with my highland free-flowing dance skills. I really am terrible with the bagpipe tunes but I’ll do my best to represent the Aussie’s and make them proud.
Then not long after, my folks will arrive back on the bonny shores for their holiday; I can’t wait for the catch up and show them around the ever greener country-side. I love seeing Spring liven up everything and breathe life back into the world after a long north hemisphere winter… They’ll also be here for Karen’s brother Gav and Natalie’s wedding in early May.

So there’s plenty to keep me busy, entertained and my mind off the up coming doctor’s appointment in two weeks time. I’ll admit that I’m slightly apprehensive and a tad nervous about seeing him – not too keen on any bursting my bubble just yet. But life must go on…unfortunately that includes a few trips to the oncology ward to sort out these dodgy Leukaemia cells. I’m just so pumped and positive to knock these cells down to a manageable level, gain a good PCR result and to keep all my energy for Karen and ensure she’s doing well with her pregnancy. I do hate giving her any added stress and worries; and that’s why the docs have agreed to give Kas a 20 week scan to make sure everything is going well.

So until my next appointment in a fortnight…check out our ‘Conquer a Corbett’ site. My mates Darren, Dawsie, Nic and I will be climbing Beinn Luibhean for MacMillan cancer research. They’re hoping to conquer all the Scottish Corbetts (mountains between 2,500 and 3,000 feet) in the month of May. If you’re in Scotland, pick up a copy of The Herald this Saturday to see myself and Dawsie posing like a couple of amateur climbers… http://www.justgiving.com/conqueracorbett

Also, Gav’s best mate Ali is running the London Marathon on 22nd April for me and the Anthony Nolan Trust. If you’ve got 5 minutes, support him by checking out his site at… http://www.justgiving.com/ajtb

Keep the emails and messages coming in…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mate,

Happy Birthday old man! Congratulations on the impending arrival, we can't wait to meet him/her. Send our love to Karen and look after her, the poor girl will now have two children to watch over. It's really exciting news !!

Lots of love,

Dan, Tiz, Milly and Sean

Dan Breen