Monday, March 17, 2008

48. Eleven Eiffel Towers







PHOTOS: Chloe sitting in Karen's Chair; Kas out walking in the Snow; Karen's Nana & Papa bonding; Wrestling with a Kangaroo; Me in the Snowy Pond; The Ice is Finally Melting...
I’m pleased to say that the training for the event that many people doubt is going well. I don’t blame them – at first I thought the idea of climbing three peaks of the UK will be a relatively easy challenge, they can’t be that high surely. But then after some discussions from previous climbers, some research and even viewing the shear size of these mountains in person has brought me back down to earth, slightly. I’m still extremely keen and positive that we can do it; it’s just the knowledge that we will be climbing well over 11,000 feet in under 24 hours, equivalent to eleven Eiffel Towers stacked on top of each other and also walking back down (I’ll have buns of steel after this). I don’t think I’d be doing it unless it was for a very worthy cause, so the £2,400 out of the targeted £6k we’ve managed to raise so far is managing to spur me on. I’m really not sure on where I’m getting this energy from but it’s definitely there and coming from somewhere deep inside, figuratively. For those who haven’t sponsored us yet, there’s only three months left until our big event in June – the longest weekend of the year, literally…

I’m also encouraged that I’m doing this event for the right reason every time I attend the Oncology Clinic in Glasgow’s West End, an event that my Consultant and Director of the new Centre, Professor Holyoake, is joining us on. I can’t help it, I drive right by the new Paul O’Gorman Leukaemia Research Centre that we’re fundraising for every time I have an appointment. To witness all different types of groups of people turning up to the clinic can be pretty harrowing even to the hardiest of person. Kids with scorched heads from the harsh chemo they’re receiving, closely followed by their parents who are trying their hardest to stay positive. The elderly, this time accompanied by their children. The young adults, sometimes alone or with their young family; I fit in this group, so I can empathise with their situation. No matter who they are, they are all hoping for a miracle. That’s where this new centre comes into play. So, yep, I’m stoked we are doing this Event in June for a pretty good cause.

We’ve just booked our trip back to Oz at Christmas this year – I know it’s still a long way off and we have plenty going on before this trip but I’m just so excited. I’ll get to meet my niece and see my nephew again, watch the kids and Chloe playing together, catch up with friends and family, get a much much much needed dose of Vitamin D in the form of sunshine and chill out with a BBQ on the beach. It’ll also be great to see my grandfather; he’s having a pretty rough time at the moment as he’s fighting some pretty aggressive cancer. He’s a real fighter, always has been, and the kind of man who will make us proud by battling away - so it’ll good to catch up with him. Did I mention the sun as well?

Everything else seems to be ticking along quite well. We’ve found ourselves really enjoying our time as a family and making the most out of what we have right now as Chloe’s just growing so fast. We’re definitely spending less time going out and spending more time outdoors; what used to be a night of beers on the town has turned into a quiet catch-up with friends…I know it sounds like I’m an old man already and acting beyond my 29 years but I can reassure that the beers still as important as they were before. Helps you cope with the lack of sleep! We’ve got our first overseas trip planned with a group of mates not long after my birthday to the south of France. No doubt it’ll be a real tester but I’m more than reassured as we’re not the only couple with a baby. Ah, how life changes...

I’ve now got another 2 weeks to wait until I get my latest PCR test results back from the labs, fingers crossed for the third one going in the right direction. Any number under 0.7% and I’ll be stoked! If it is lower, we’ll all be assured that after 2 ½ years of munching Leukaemia medication, my body has finally started to get rid of the dodgy cells that are trying to call my body ‘home’. The ultimate goal is to get to 0.1% - that’ll mean I’ve achieved a 3 log reduction from the 100% starting point and also my survival stats will be dramatically improved. Now wouldn’t that be worth a celebration? My 30th birthday is in less than 3 weeks time – besides my requested Nintendo Wii, any number under 0.7% will be the best present I could hope for…

So, until the PCR results end up back in my hands, we’ll just continue to enjoy the changing of the seasons – spring has sprung! The Mountain climbing training starts this weekend on the 3,000 foot monster of Ben Vane, so I need to make the most of it.

If you feel that we deserve your cash on the huge event we are undertaking soon, please check out my link. And thanks heaps to those who have already sponsored us!

www.justgiving.com/3peakschallengeuk

No comments: